[Squeakfoundation]Initial project - Squeak core

Tim Rowledge squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 29 May 2001 05:23:58 -0700

(I hope this gets through; I'm using a public library widoze machine in
Poole,UK, wityh a truly awful screen, via internet exploder to the exobox
exchange server. Talk about a change from my normal circumstances!)

W.r.t using CVS & SF, and restricting myself to the VM code for now, I have
to point out that if the VMMaker code is accepted as the tool for VM
generation then the whole raft of arguments about the directory structure
that plagued us last time it was tried ought to disappear.

One of the key capabilities I tried to get into VMMaker was the use of a
simple platform-code tree that should be easy to fit into anything like CVS.
What I ended up with was a very simple tree for all the platforms (plus,
most recently follwing some work wthin John McI) the 'Cross' platform for
things like 'sq.h' & eventually the B3D 'faked' files. All the generated
code is _only_ generated, never stored, thereby obviating a major source of
confusion that cost a non-trivial amount of time at exobox.

An example of the tree should be available on my webstie (don't take the
actual contents as uptodate, just as a structural exemplar) at
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/SqFiles/deltas/platforms.sit - or something
similar, just look at the directory and you'll work it out soon enough.

tim