[Squeakfoundation]So....

Cees de Groot squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
15 Apr 2002 08:13:02 +0200

 <dmm@yak.net> said:
>			"Charitable" is defined as "providing services beneficial
>to the public interest" and requires that the organization be set up to
>benefit an indefinite class of individuals, not particular persons.  One
>explicitly listed IRS charitable activity is "advancement of education
>or science." {This all fits well with my understanding of the S.F.'s
>intent.}
Indeed. That one's clear.

>			"Scientific" purposes encompass scientific research
>carried on in the public interest.  For S.F. this basically means that
>the results are made available to the public; or that the purpose is
>aiding in the scientific education of college or university students.

That one should be added as well, I think one of the purposes of a strong SqF
should be to support research based on Squeak with grants.

>			"Educational" purposes encompass instruction for both
>self-development and for the benefit of the community.  The closest fit
>I find for explicitly listed exempt-purpose activities is "publishing
>public interest educational materials."

And that's a very important one, because Squeak in itself is
(almost) educational material (case you haven't found it yet:
http://www.squeakland.org), and there are many projects around Squeak
that use it to build educational materials with it. Some (I actually hope
lots) of them will be commercial so their makers can make a living from it,
but many will be freely available.

>	2) Will the S.F. have members?
Yes.

Thanks for your write-up.