[Squeakfoundation]base image distribution

PhiHo Hoang squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 02:33:59 -0500

Hi Rob,

> SqueakMap won't work without networking, so this base image wont be
> bootstrapable from the net.  I also start thinking about the MobVM when we
> look at the smallest bootstrapable unit.

    Your proposal will certainly get my vote ;-)

> Here is what I see as the base image distro.
>     - basic vm with file system support, perhaps MobVM enabled - deal with
> dll locations, blah
>     - basic image with enough juice to read a startup script
>         - no gui, no network,
>         - incl compiler, fs, evaluation, collections, metamodel, magnatude

    And I guess MobVM would be able to help teleporting the base image
    and core packages.

>     - base changesets and plugins to add the bare minimum for gui (MVC or
> Morphic?), network, SqueakMap

    These can be installed through SqueakMap ?
    (except plugins, which are handled automagically by MobVM)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.