[Squeakfoundation]Re: FreePAN: an opportunity to share repositories!

Brian Ingerson squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:09:55 -0800

On 24/12/02 14:14 -0800, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Brian Ingerson wrote:
>
> > The effort is very collaborative. People have already started showing up
> > on irc and asking if they could help. To which I'm very grateful. Plenty
> > of work to do. I am currently looking for a Squeak Content Manager.
> > Someone to make sure Squeak is well represented. Anybody interested?
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> How's the Squeak port of YAML going? ;-)

Ned told me he might be interested in doing that. :)

> I have some concern about muddying the waters as to where to look for
> Squeak packages - as I think Ned mentioned, SqueakMap has gained a lot of
> momentum and mind share lately, and if FreePAN is going to work for the
> Squeak community we'll have to be careful to coordinate/integrate with
> SqueakMap, not compete with it.

Definitely. It seems that FreePAN just offers SqueakMap mirroring. This
is something SqueakMap appears not to have. Same with Ruby and RAA.

I suspect that FreePAN may offer other features too, but I'd leave it up
to the Language Managers as to how much they want.

Competition is not bad in itself. I am completely open to building
bridges to other facilities. But I'm also interested in offering an
alternative to CPAN for Perl, which in many ways has stagnated.

BTW, I'm trying very hard not to over-architect this project. I want
maximum payback for effort. Especially my effort. I want it to be
something the community maintains.

> Assuming we can resolve that issue, I'd be willing to make sure Squeak was
> properly represented on FreePAN.

Great. Volunteered then! I'll put you down as the Squeak Content
Manager.

One thing we're doing is writing all the tools to build freepan in
different languages. It would be neat to see some Squeak tools. I need
an upload server. Seems like something you're good at.

Find me on irc (see link on freepan.org) and let's discuss it further.

Cheers, Brian