[Squeakfoundation]Visibility in the open source community

Matthew Denis Richard Sloly squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 04:23:18 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_Frj4TfmBVYFmdd1XdfuIQA)

Cees,

Well hey . . . the Squeak license not being quite "Free Software" by Stallman's strict standards does not disqualify it from being "Open Source", and so free enough.

Section 6 states, "Export Law Assurances. You may not use or otherwise export or reexport the Apple Software except as authorized by United States law and the laws of the jurisdiction in which the Apple Software was obtained. In particular, but without limitation, the Apple Software may not be exported or reexported (i) into (or to a national or resident of) any U.S. embargoed country or (ii) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce's Table of Denial Orders. By using the Apple Software, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list."

While I do not agree with such restrictions as a matter of political conviction, I recognize that this section was only included to reflect actual US law, which would restrict exportation of Squeak to embargoed countries regardless of it being in the license or not. Windows or LINUX would have the same restrictions on them, but this matters little because information wants to be free and the internet has no borders . . . I guess.

I do not see anything problematic in section 2.

As far as licenses go, Squeak's is very elegant, and understandable. I also don't think it's terms would be revised by Apple, even if there were objections.

Regarding fonts, I am thinking that it would make Squeak more desirable if it could use existing font libraries for the Mac and PC. For instance, would it be possible for Squeak to read TrueType or OpenType fonts? There are many free ones out there. Font design is a very specialized field, but it would not be hard to find someone who would be willing to design a special one, just for Squeak . . . but then again . . . as you put it, "Or are there deeper [technical] reasons that New York still rulez the image?"

I would be happy to help form a team of designers who could act as a resource to the programmers, if there is a demand for such services. Please let me know.

- Matthew