[Squeakfoundation]Open letter to the harvesters

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Apr 16 10:40:51 CEST 2003

Hi guys

I'm diving in systemDictionary and other dark places of Squeak and I
would really appreciate that in the future you ***REJECT*** any
goodies, cool add-ons that violates basic OO principles.
Such as:

- Favor subtyping versus subclassing: a Tool should not inherit from
List.
	A tool is not a List it is composed from a list
- Avoid: Direct access to Smalltalk
- Avoid: Direct access to super super super instance
- Avoid: use of super with a different selectors
- Avoid: Adding methods to the wrong places
- Avoid: Violate basic layering principles
- Add PopUp in DOMAIN classes (SmartStreamRef should not refer to PopUp,
this is the client of SmartStreamRef to do the work,)
- Classes that mixes UI and Domain
- trash classes

Sorry I had to say that, the OO programmers inside me what
exploding.....

Stef

Sometimes I feel sad but this is fun to clean.....

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html