[Squeakfoundation]Ideas for 3.7

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 10 19:54:30 CEST 2003

Hi,

Just one brief comment:
> - Decide whether the following release should be 3.8 or 4.0 (w/image
> format change), someone like Tim will need to coordinate this issue

I would VERY much encourage having "parallel" versions of VI3 and VI4 images
for a couple of releases. Why? People running "mission critical stuff" in
Squeak (Comanche, SeaSide, Croquet etc) will definitely NOT want to be
beta-testers for VM-level changes. If anything goes wrong (and rest assured,
some things *will* go wrong) then those (perceived or real) mission critical
apps _will_ have to fork onto an older branch and stay there. So my feeling
here would be that we should have parallel releases for a while so that (for
example)

Squeak 3.7 + VI4 = Squeak 4.0
Squeak 3.8 + VI4 = Squeak 4.1
Squeak 3.9 + VI4 = Squeak 4.2

which gives people the time to gradually adopt the changes that are
happening while VI4 "hardens out" to be as solid as VI3.

Note that the psychological effect of the above is (hopefully) going to be
that most people *will* use the VI4 versions (hey, they are the latest
aren't they?) and only those who are truly and deeply concerned about
possible problems will deliberately choose "older" versions which seems
about right to me.

Cheers,
  - Andreas