[Squeakfoundation]Just let me know if I lose my time and yours

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jun 12 11:47:29 CEST 2003

Hi Stephane, Andreas and all!

Instead of quoting a lot of text etc I try to keep it to the point:

- Keep on cleaning Stephane! Sure, sometimes people will disagree with
selected proposed actions - but we are *all* grateful for the work being
done, including Andreas I am sure. So please, don't be discouraged. The
progress so far is great.
- Regarding these "hard to place methods", placing #abandonSources in
Image does sound perfectly reasonable to me... And I would also expect
to find the #snapshot:andQuit: family of methods there (even though I
don't really like the names of those...).
- Regarding the rest of these methods, there may be methods that really
are hard to place - and in that case I agree that a Utilities class can
be good to have, BUT:
	- Placing them all in one class may need the use of class extensions so
that it doesn't "hurt" the partitioning of the image. If we put a
utility method for Morphic and a utility method for files in the same
class called Utilities then we will create problems for minimal images
without Morpic - unless we use class extensions.
	- Having utility methods in class SystemDictionary seems utterly wrong
to me. Just listen to the name - SystemDictionary. What on earth tells
the novice that this is a place for Utility methods? Nothing IMHO. It is
also confusing for the novice that the methods are in "SystemDictionary"
but you run them by sending messages to "Smalltalk"... But the class
name Utilities or even UtilityMethods with the methods on the class side
is much better I think. If we indeed are talking about functions then I
think it is appropriate for them to be on the class side.

Just my 2... öre. (at least until we join the EMU)