[Squeakfoundation]re: TrueType font support and 3.6

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Jun 20 18:13:20 CEST 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 04:16 pm, Doug Way wrote:

> Right.  Assuming it's using (not just installing) the TT fonts that
> slows things down on slower systems, we could incorporate the TT
> fonts changes, but not actually change any of the default fonts to
> be TT fonts for now.  (Maybe change a default font to be a TT font
> sometime in 3.7 if it's working really well.)

If you don't use the TT fonts, they shouldn't slow anything down.

I don't think we would want to make any of the default fonts (all of
which are used in small sizes almost exclusively) using the
TrueTypeTextStyle. They're fuzzy in small sizes. Andreas'
Win32NativeFonts package would be a better choice for the body text
fonts in the smaller sizes, since it doesn't anti-alias. However, you
wouldn't be able to read in new fonts or generate new sizes on
non-Windows systems (which is the same case as the existing bitmapped
fonts, as far as most people are concerned).

Another problem/feature (which is fixed in the Accufonts) is that the
underscore and up-arrow characters aren't fixed to be the Squeak
ones.

> We could change a bit of text in the Welcome window to the
> ComicSansMS antialiased font for demonstration purposes, with a
> hint about how to change your default font and how to load new TT
> fonts with the FileList.  (Hmm, I just tried "set font..." on some
> text in the middle of the Welcome window and it appears that TT
> fonts are a bit buggy when mixed with the regular strike fonts.
> It's fine if I add some TT text at the end, though.  Or we could
> add a small standalone demo window.  Or just not have a demo. ;-) )
>
> Anyway, I'd want to at least double-check with Yoshiki first to see
> if he has any impending changes coming up before incorporating the
> TT stuff.  (I'm cc-ing him on this message.)
>
> - Doug

Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com
GPG key ID: BEEA7EFE