[Squeakfoundation]re: TrueType font support and 3.6

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Jun 24 15:36:05 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 02:05  AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> Fine. I still don't want uncommented code into the base classes! :-)
> But
> I assume you agree with me on that.

I'd like to sound a note of caution on that one.

I'm all for class comments, but I don't think requiring a comment in
every method is a good idea. Personally, I strive for the Kent Beck
aesthetic of "if you have to comment a method, it need refactoring."
Further, I find that most Squeak code is simple enough not to require a
formal method comment.

Take the pathological case of the recent #isSymbol fix. Do you really
think that

isSymbol
	^ true

would be made easier to understand by adding a comment? What would it
say? In the best case it would be redundant and make the source more
difficult to scan visually. In the worst case, it will confuse the
reader by contradicting the code!

I'm not saying the standard should be "no comments," just that they
shouldn't be *required*.

Cheers,

Colin