[Squeakfoundation]re: Network stuff

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue May 6 02:12:18 CEST 2003

> 	I also think all the packages we've mentioned so far
> should appear optional to the user. If it seems like something
> will "rot" because it is merely available from SqueakMap and
> not in a release snapshot, then there's something wrong with
> the SqueakMap system (and we should fix it).

These changes are somewhat "special" in such that we're talking about
rewriting these things rather than merely adding something. In other words:
In this particular case any evolution that goes on within Squeak renders the
changes done questionable (if not entirely unusable). Think, for example,
about the recent discussions at Squeak-Dev about using progress indicator,
#confirm: and friends - many of those are used exactly wrong in the
networking code and in this sense, as soon as someone starts to touch these
places, the stuff that's up at SqueakMap really does "rot". BTW, the issue
of notifiers popping up in background threads was the latest reason why I
wanted this stuff fixed ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas