[Squeakfoundation] Allow MIT-licensed code to be part of "Squeak Official"?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sun Nov 16 07:31:25 CET 2003

Before we incorporate the SmaCC compiler into the base release (it's
already been approved), I thought I'd double-check this point.

Up until now, only Squeak-L licensed source code has been allowed to be
included in the base release.  (Base release meaning anything "Squeak
Official", including everything in the Full release.)  Submitted code
which doesn't specify a license is automatically licensed under
Squeak-L.  So if we incorporate SmaCC, we'll be changing this rule.

Basically, this sounds okay to me, but if we decide to do this, we
should be specific that only Squeak-L and/or MIT-licensed code is
allowed in the base release... we're not allowing any other arbitrarily
licensed code.  We've discussed the MIT license a bit and it seems
agreeable to most, it's a very simple license, and there doesn't seem
to be a problem with having a mix of Squeak-L and MIT-licensed stuff in
the base.  (I know a few people think that MIT is too unrestrictive,
but I don't think that's a fatal flaw at the moment.)

Is this decision significant enough to have a vote of the Guides?

(Non-source-code things such as fonts are a different story... I think
it is acceptable to have other non-SqueakL/MIT licenses in the base
release for fonts, this includes the Accufonts & BitStream Vera fonts.)

- Doug