[Squeakfoundation]The Harvesting process and the BFAV

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Oct 16 22:57:27 CEST 2003

> * External reviews
>
> A key problem with external reviews is that you have to know the area
> involved very well to judge the wider implications of changes. It is
> not
> surprising that typically a few people review certain areas since
> that's
> their primary area of expertise. One of the key problems in the current
> process is that these people need reviews themselves - even though
> they are
> experts in the area and an external review is likely to just say "sure
> it
> works - what did you expect"? Or even worse, there simply isn't
> anybody who
> feels confident to review that code (who exactly even _could_ review
> Ned's
> and my joint changes for adding/removing morphs?)

Exact! That's why I browse it and approved it.
That's why this would be cool that you too pair a bit to have a look at
some
enh pending at the morphic level.

> Here's an interesting observation about myself: I tend to _not_ look
> at code
> from people I consider "experts" unless I am suspecting something
> non-obvious or outright questionable. In all other cases my basic
> inclination is "go ahead - if there's a problem we can fix that too"
> rather
> than think ahead and try to foresee what might be affected (which
> doesn't
> work anyway).

Same here, even I read when I have time to learn and check if the code
is not
completely strange because we can always forget a method somewhere.

> Personally, there are various people which I would immediately endorse
> submit fixes and enhancements in various areas. In other words, I trust
> those people enough to be willing to live with their changes without
> having
> to explicitly review them. And yes, things will break but they'd break
> with
> or without a review by someone who doesn't really understand it.

I agree this is why we should have a fast approved track and a lot of
alpha testers.

> If so, what's the point?

Andreas I have the impression that having two persons per area at
minimum would be cool.
because it puts just more pressure on you this is like pair
programming. I'm lazy while when
I know that somebody else will have a look I pay attention.

> * External testing
>
> If you look at the traffic on Squeak-dev, I think you'll find many more
> whatever
> tags. The problem is that feedback from people using a fix is mostly
> informal (if at all present). In a perfect world, I would want
> something
> that I can flag as a fix for some problem. When some person installs
> the fix
> the person should (later) get asked "did this solve your problem?"
> with a
> choice of "don't know yet", "yes", "no", "yes but ..." (as in: it
> fixes the
> problem but shows another one), and "no but ..." (as in: it doesn't
> but I
> have package Foo and Bar loaded which might interfere).
>
> One way to solicit this feedback would be to install in particular
> [FIX]es
> in a way that the system _knows_ this is a fix and can ask the user
> about it
> after that fix has been in use for a while. Again, here's an example:
> Someone posts a fix for a problem. I load it and keep going. Some time
> later
> (perhaps when I am about to save/quit the image) the system reminds me
> that
> I have a bunch of fixes loaded and whether I'd want to comment on
> them. If I
> choose to, I get the above mentioned options and this feedback is then
> automatically sent to the list.

Yes this is a good idea. In particular the fact that the fixes may not
have  been exercised
requires that the person choose to report. I think that this is a good
way to involve concrete
feedback.