[Squeakfoundation][Fwd: Re: installing squeak on Debian Woody]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 2 04:56:24 CEST 2003

Hi Ian,

> That's a _lot_ better.  A total pain to update whenever new versions
> arrive (and too wide to format into a reasonably-dimensioned
> browser ;)

That is (like the page sez) a proposal. I'm sure people will come along with
better layouts, the point I was trying to make is that it is possible to
have a better organized download page.

> explain why having that huge Unix download matrix is
> better than having a single link to
>
>   www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak

Simple. It means that the Squeak community has a common vocabulary what "the
download page" is and what you need to do in order to get some Squeak
version. It means that if someone asks "where can I get the latest version
of Squeak" we can - regardless of platform or whatever else - answer "go to
The Download Page (tm) and click on either <full> or <VM>+<image> and you
got it". It's also a question between "1 click shopping" or "2 click
shopping" - all user studies on the web will show you that every click is
one click too much so having an "extra link" to your page is significant in
terms of getting to users.

> I don't know if anyone has noticed this but the process is entirely
> automated -- from build to publishing the new downloads (and
> almost all of the re-sync with SF too ;).

Excellent! That brings up a thought experiment of my own. What if ... you
would merely add a script which inserts your auto-generated matrix into such
a download page? It's a Swiki after all chosen particularly for the ability
to quickly and easily modify and update things. I really don't care how
people update the page - if the process is automated, all the better!

> I still can't see the advantage of reproducing the download
> links in some place that's only indirectly connected to their
> content's origin:  (1) the matrix is incomplete;
> (2) it's unmaintainable (without inordinate amounts
> of work each time it changes -- and that's sometimes every
> few hours for Unix during beta test);

None of the two are issues if the matrix is automatically updated.

> and (3) I often pay little or no attention to problem reports
> that arise from VMs packaged by other people -- and I
> suspect you'd feel similarly about repackaged win32 VMs that had been
> randomly scrambled.

Yes. I would, however expect the complaints to go to the people who maintain
the port (which you can find through the "info" button). Note that badly
maintained VMs will likely not being used for long if you have an
alternative. So in this sense the download page encourages competition which
(I think) solves the above problem implicitly.

> Thought experiment terminated. ;)

Let me point out once more what the idea of the download page is: Establish
a single place where ALL of the ports can be found in something like a
"canonical" format. If we decide to redirect users again and again to other
sites where individual bits and pieces can be found we are loosing a lot in
terms of "getting Squeak to the users" rather than vice versa. Let me quote
once more that bit about "a website that I ASSUMED is the standard". I would
like to make it so that there _is_ a standard for Squeak downloads rather
than having people to guess where to go - we have no data about how many
people have tried to get Squeak and failed in doing so (but I have heard a
number of serious complaints from various people and platforms how difficult
it is even to find "all the things you need to run Squeak") and I really
want to reduce that chance. Since it's very simple to do and doesn't require
much work (if you have the process automated it's outright trivial) I favour
the directness of The Download Page (tm) over the many (sometimes obscure)
links that you find these days on, e.g., the Squeak.org downloads.

Cheers,
  - Andreas