[SqNOS] Release 16-Jul-2006: Basic networking is working!

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Mon Jul 17 18:48:25 UTC 2006

Hi John, you are my favourite tester :-)

Johnathon Meichtry wrote:

> 1) Ping from Gentoo (virutal) workstation to a real Gentoo Linux
> server in differnet LAN segment: *6.0ms*
> 2) Ping from Gentoo (virtual) workstation to Squeaknos (virtual)
> workstation: *300.0ms*
> 3) Ping from Gentoo (virtual) workstation to Vmware Router/Default
> Gateway: *0.7ms*

    yes, I saw that too, and had several theories on why it was... and
all my theories except one (the simples) were wrong:

    browse #handleIRQfor: and #handleReceiveInterrupt and remove all
references to the Transcript. Try again... then try a ping flood and see
how it doesn't miss a single packet :-)
wowow!

    Now other theories may still be correct although they don't show. I
will look into the anyway (increasing the frequency for the timer IRQ,
which will improve the granularity for Delay, increasing the number of
receive and send buffers of the network card in use, etc)

    gera