[SqNOS] Compiling SqueakNOS on Macos

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Wed Sep 3 12:43:15 UTC 2008

Mathieu Suen wrote:
> I am wondering why ELF is  needed. I guess is grub who know how to
> load elf file.
    Not really. I guess that's another venue, but I have no experience
there, although it should work. If you want to do that, you'll have to
link all the .o files and leave them together in a file suitable for the
bootloader. I guess MacOS X' bootloader would take Mach-O, but I can't
tell for sure. You could also find information on how to generate .efi
file, which I think is what EFI bootloaders can boot. I know GRUB can be
compiled in this way, so that may be a good source of information.
> Ok :) thanks. Or is there a way to rebuild the iso without compiling
> the kernel?
Oh! of course! you should not need to rebuild the kernel to rebuild the
ISO image, and in fact, you should not need to rebuild the ISO image at
all to test a new image. However, nothings ready to rebuild an ISO
without recompiling... but, take a look at boot/Makefile, specially at
the command mkisofs. That's what you need to run, and everything should
be setup to run it. I think you'll have to run it from boot (NOT
boot/iso.template/...)

    let me  know how it goes!
    richie