[SqNOS] Re: SqeakNOS OLPC

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Sat Sep 27 17:56:44 UTC 2008

Daniel Demski wrote:
> Hi, I don't know if you're the right person to ask (ie
> should I be wasting your time) but, I am trying to boot
> squeakNOS on my XO.
    Yes, that's absolutely me, and don't worry about bothering me,
I'm interested in feedback, so, thank you for contacting me. I'm
also copying the SqueakNOS list, in case anbyody has the same
problem, and to keep this archived on the net.
>                    I followed the instructions but had to
> rename the files (ge Squeak~1.ima) by hand since I was on
> Linux.
    I think that if you copied the files in order (first .kernel then
.image)
to a vfat (fat/DOS) formated file system, then the file names should
have been ok, even if you see them as full names in Linux, but renaming
them manually shoudn't harm.
>          After that it found the files- it loads the kernel
> then loads the image, then it restarts, repeating endlessly.
> So I tried the squeakNOS 08 August image and it behaved the
> same.

    Uhm, let's try something, and if that fixes it, I'll add it to the
howto:

update your XO's firmware to the latest version as directed by
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Firmware

    let me know what happened, I guess that's the problem.
Also please, before upgrading, check your current version, so
we can know (and say) that with that specific version you
absolutely need to upgrade before trying SqueakNOS.

    thanks!
    gera