[SqNOS] Building SqueakNOS on Ubuntu

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Sun Feb 13 19:22:51 UTC 2011

Hi all, I'm catching up old mail (is't that what vacations are for after
all?)

anyway,

On 01/24/2011 11:21 PM, Ryan Macnak wrote:
> Will this be Squeak 4.1 based?  Also, what are the prospects of the
> kernel being based on the Cog Stack or Cogit vms?
AFAIK the lates SqueakNOS based on Pharo 4.1 (as Javier said), does
already use the Stack VM. No Cog yet, but stack VM yes :)
We are way overdue on a complete release as we used to do (VM Appliance,
bootable .iso image, etc), eventually we'll do it, but as Javier
suggested, use the git repository, and then using Monticello you should
be able to NOSify a standard Pharo image pretty straightforward.

> Of course, working at a high level is what makes it so appealing :)
>  My interest is to produce a version of the SqueakNOS kernel that
> understands the Newspeak bytecodes.
This is very interesting, please let us know how are you doing with
this, and if you need any more help!

    gera