[SqNOS] CERR/LCAR for Am79C970 driver

Ryan Macnak rmacnak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 05:31:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am working on a driver for the Am79C970 Ethernet controller. It is based
on the LanceNIC driver found in SqueakNOS, but uses the 32-bit descriptors
instead of the 16-bit ones. I have managed to receive interrupts for the
completion of initialization and transmit, but the transmits always come
back with errors. The status register has CERR (Collision Error) set and
the transmit descriptor has LCAR (Loss of Carrier) set. To me this sounds
like the controller believes something has gone wrong with the physical
link, but this is virtual hardware (VirtualBox) so that seems dubious. Have
you perhaps encountered this before or have suggestions on what might be
going wrong?

Thanks, Ryan