[UI] Squeak UI Annoyances

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 15:30:33 UTC 2007

On Tue August 21 2007, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> I started a "Mother of Squeak UI Annoyances" issue on Mantis:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6635
>
> I added all the appropriate bugs I could find on mantis as
> children, and a couple more issues I could think of (both
> relating to PluggableListMorph).

Thanks for doing that, Matthew.

For the record, I like some of Squeak's look and don't think it necessarily
goes against "wide-spread UI conventions." Or, I'd like to see that list.

I do not think we should follow what Windows and other UIs have done just for
the sake of being like them. There are a lot of interface problems with
Windows (and the Mac and Linux distros). I propose that the best way to start
is to define general heuristics that Squeak apps/tools/projects/system/etc.
can follow - starting clean is the best way to approach the issues that we
find.

Generally, I think Squeak started out right at the beginning. It's just that
the UI hasn't been maintained consistently as the world learned of new
interface issues.