State of morphic ( long reply to Sig from [UI] Re: UI plan, my thoughts thread)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 15:40:49 UTC 2007

Jerome, thank you for good overview.
My personal interest, as you may know, is the graphics part of morphic.
I'm developer of GLMorphic project, which draws all morphs using openGL.

There are some things which i wish to be cleaned up / rethought.
First is the hard-wiring with Forms and blitting: i don't like, that
many morphs relying on fact, that display surface represented by
rectangular area of pixels (Forms), and can be manipulated directly
with blitting operations.
This is what i want to be avoided at all, and to draw all morphs using
calls to canvas only.

Second is font rendering and paragraphs rendering. Most of morphs use
paragraphs to hold text, and paragraphs using special class like
CanvasCharacterScanner which containing very complex and ugly (IMHO)
code to render text. I don't know why simple text rendering became so
complex in respect to rendering paragraphs. And i wish this to be
simplified someday.
Personally i don't think that message #paragraph:bounds:color: need to
be included in Canvas protocol, since its too complex to pass in
single command and always splitting to more basic commands like draw
string.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.