[UI] UI Enhancements

Travis Kay tlk at nb.sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 1 06:42:00 UTC 2007

Gary,

Here is some of my feedback on the Watery theme:

1) Tree icons look better by changing the theme to use StandardSqueak,
but could be made to look more like Aqua
2) Radio and Checkbox controls are a little too dark when checked, for
me they don't appear to blend well with the rest of the theme
3) TaskListMorph - icons in the TaskbarMorph are very bright with
shadows through the horizontal center, it makes the labels very hard to
read.

Other comments in general:

1) Having theme enabled TaskbarMorphs would be nice, I tend to use
images for desktop backgrounds and make the taskbar transparent - it
looks better to me and gives more visible screen space when not a lot of
windows are minimized (I run on an X61 Thinkpad).

2) Having theme enabled Flaps would be nice, I tend to customize these
too, making them solidTab and transparent or very translucent with pop
out on drag.

I think these two changes could have a large impact on the overall look
of existing themes and more to come. On the feel side of things, I have
some hacks around using 'sticky' menus so they wont attach to the hand -
but its more of a hack. Oh, theme enabled menus would be excellent, but
there is lots of refactoring to be done in this area and it isn't very
trivial.

All in all, awesome work Gary.

Travis