[UI] Compiler messages

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Nov 11 23:01:11 UTC 2007

Tim,

Ok, then what do we do?  Distribute it as a group development, or try
for inclusion in the mainstream?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

On 11-Nov-07, at 12:10 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> I don't have any advice about that, but I would like to suggest
> this: please, please don't continue the tradition of having the
> parser interact with the user directly by opening menus and what
> not. This is a horrifying design that has given me much grief with
> OmniBrowser.

I'd say this is one of those places where exceptions have a clear and
valuable role.

When there is an unknown variable, instead of using something like
varname isUnknown ifTrue:[(PopUpMenu query:'is this a temp or cancel
compile') ifTrue:[self addTempNamed: varname] ifFalse:[^self buggered]]

try something a bit more like
varname isUnknown ifTrue:[CompilerUnknownVariableName informWith:
varname forCompiler: self]

Then the interactive user of the compiler can handle the exception via
a menu or a nice dialogue or even an acually *nice* UI, and the non-
interactive user can handle it silently. A lint-like user could let
the compile proceed whilst logging the infraction, for example. Or
preferably by applying a significant voltage to the shiny stainless
steel mouse buttons....

tim
USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.