[UI] Compiler messages

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:18:47 UTC 2007

Colin,

First, not meaning to be dense, I load the code and the compiler
continues to nag me over both selectors and variables.  Do I need to set
the mode, or does you fix work only with specific browsers?

Second, of course I would not have the compiler directly use the GUI - I
agree that is a terrible design (if one can call it a design).  However,
I would probably opt to simply patch it enough to stop the nonsense, at
least to start.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

On 13-Nov-07, at 6:46 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Is the change set simply an example, or does it address something I
> missed?

It addresses the Parsers habit of interacting directly with the user
when it encounters undeclared variables and the like.

>  The exceptions would have to be resumable, right?

Yes, they are resumable.

> I am
> starting to wonder whether exceptions or events are a good fit, as
> they
> both have overhead (especially exceptions??) that might be a problem
> when loading large change sets.

They only get signaled if the Compiler is invoked in "interactive mode."

> There is still the question of whether we want to simply gag the
> messages or write something that is a true fix to the mainstream
> release.  Any ideas?

This code wasn't meant to address the problem you've raised. I was
just requesting that if you're going to change the way the Compiler
deals with unresolved references, that you don't continue the
tradition of interacting directly with the user. Tim suggested using
exceptions instead, and since the code I had written did use
exceptions, I posted it.

I imagine that the problem you want to solve will require more
significant changes to the parser and compiler, and I hope you'll
refrain from coupling the compiler to the UI.

Colin