[UI] Compiler messages

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 13 22:35:56 UTC 2007

Tim,

You are correct that it would be better to log the information vs.
supressing it entirely.  You compiler subclass idea should allow that,
and w/o the burden of doing something that has to be adopted by the
wider community in order to have remotely lasting value.

I still think that exceptions are an inefficient solution to this
particular problem.  It strikes me as being similar to using #on:do: to
protect #at: when #at:ifAbsent: can suffice.  Exceptions of course have
the power to "tunnel across the stack," but in this case, I suspect an
optional context argument or extension of one that already exists is the
preferred approach.  #on:do: has overhead even if the exception is not
raised, and even more if it is raised.  It seems a heavy price to pay
when loading large amounts of code.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

On 13-Nov-07, at 10:50 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I take exception:

I'll raise your exception...

I don't think you actually want to prevent the error messages (aside
from the radical approach that I've always tried to follow - don't
make mistakes) as such. Error messages are the weakness leaving the
code. Catch it and squeeze it to extract the truthiness for
reinsertion.

tim
"Bother" said Pooh, when Piglet stubbed his fag out on the semtex.