[UI] Compiler messages

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Nov 14 00:14:41 UTC 2007

On 13-Nov-07, at 2:47 PM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Agreed, with the caveat that I am currently thinking contexts are
> preferred to exceptions in this case (for speed).  Of course, that
> would
> require changing a LOT of code, where the exception solution can be
> stealthy.  Changing default actions is a worthy compromise.  I will
> take
> a shot at it.

Tim is right, speed is just not an issue here. Exceptions only get
raised if the compiler is in "interactive" mode, as when invoked from
a browser. In that case, compilation takes milliseconds, and adding a
few microseconds doesn't matter. Further, if the exception handler
interacts with the user, the time to raise an exception is dwarfed by
the time spend waiting for the user to react.

Colin