[UI] Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:19:15 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 9:15 PM, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Agreed about a graphical view editor - it is a must for many kinds of
> things.  However, five years or so ago, a friend and colleague of mine
> needed to store several hundred data points on each of 100+ patients.
> It is small time compared to much of the database work that goes on in
> the world, but it was big for us.  Note that "us" turns into "***ME***
> (gulp!)" when it comes to making work.  I actually tried to build it
> using Access (trying to do it the "accepted" way), and it was starting
> to look like a disaster in the making.  I then turned to Dolphin and
> began scripting the view composer; with some tweaks, the image survived
> it, and it soon turned into quite a display of Smalltalk's power.

Interesting.  Yes, I know there is a need, and that some people simply
prefer coding the GUI in general.  I'm glad we don't have to be
exclusive.

> I share you desire for a graphical view editor.  Do you have any
> thoughts on how to build it given that "views" will include morphs, svg
> structures, and even native widgets?

Well, honestly if it falls behind far enough that I wind up doing it,
I had planned on being lazy and just creating the graphical editor for
one kind of view.  I don't think it hurts for every different kind of
view to have it's own editor.  All that *must* happen is that the
resulting views respond to the expected protocol.