[UI] How can targets better track the mouse?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Sep 2 13:25:06 UTC 2007

Jerome,

Sounds reasonable to me, though I have never been a fan of the hand
anyway.  I could be wrong, but it strikes me as something that was done
as a hack before halos were available, and then simply never removed.  I
can hear the panicked call now: "the menu is stuck to the mouse!" :)

Is there a way to hide the details of your changes in a policy?  Even if
it is only globally applied (e.g. DragPolicyInelastic beCurrent), it
would offer the option.  If you will forgive a little Dolphin bigotry,
this is something that MVP (interactors), and Dolphin specifically,
handles quite well.  There is no hand because one simply instantiates
and connects an interactor (aka MouseTracker in Dolphin) to handle the
specifics for that one drag operation.  The code can be re-used quite
easily, but the resulting flexibility is obvious the first time one
needs to do something weird with constraints.

I created a generic MouseTrackerTarget class in Dolphin that you might
want to keep in mind if we ever take a run at MVP.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com 09/02/07 1:42 AM >>>
How can targets better track the mouse?

I've been working on several squeak repairs that
improve the feel of things.

see:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6580
0006580: [FIX] {ENH] MouseMoveEvent>deltaVector now
reports how much mouse moved.

for explainations and code.

Basically by paying more attention to the movement of
the mouse and less attention the location of the hand
things can be vastly improved.

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace