[UI] We haven't discussed Host windows yet

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu Sep 6 10:31:54 UTC 2007

Hi all,

after having spent some hours with Gary's work, (not yet tried the
latest version) I think our discussions do not cover:

1-Dialogs usually are not limited to the main window.

2-Some applications need fixed window size.

2-Not every application needs full window decorations (maximize,
minimize, close).

IMO these call for host windows. Not as a matter of look (I'd prefer
Morphic) but as a matter of feel. The third point needs an extension
to the HostWindows plugin, maybe this is not possible to do
independent of the platform.

I think the only thing we can emulate with Gary's work plus the state
of the discussions here is the multi document interface (M$ gave up
years ago) in full screen mode.

Or to put it more general:
Do we want to limit this discussion to what is stated on the top of
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6005
or do we think of enabling Squeak to build applications behaving (and
looking) like native applications.

I vote for the latter.

Cheers

Herbert                          mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net