[UI] We haven't discussed Host windows yet

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:22:48 UTC 2007

On 06/09/07, Jason Johnson <jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/07, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ffenestri simply provides the lowest level of support in the image
> > and VM to allow creation and manipulation of host windows. We left it
> > as open ended as possible so that later users could choose what use
> > to make of them. For example, using an undecorated window might be a
> > good way to allow proper popup menus even in OS/UIs where they
> > haven't advanced to that capability yet.
>
> Wow, that actually sounds perfect.  Was the plan to get rid of the way
> you create the initial window now and let Ffenestri do it?

Yes, i think that was the plan. But given the host OS windows is not
enough to make them work. They also need a message loop
implementation. And this is the point, where easy integration fails..
First, messaging APIs is very different on many OSes. Second, you need
to install callbacks to be able to handle events from OS. All this
raises complexity to nearly impenetrable  levels.

And about FFI:
 i don't think that making calls from plugin code makes any difference
than calling same function using FFI.
The difference is, that you bringing platform dependent code in image
but not to plugin which get compiled once and then hidden from eyes of
developer. Actually errors which you can do in plugin code leading to
same result as errors in using FFI.
But don't forget that in FFI you don't need use C for coding.

As for me, designing an OS dependent functionality should be easier
with using FFI.
Later, you can put some speed critical code to plugins. But in general
i don't even think that this is critical (Exupery is out very soon ;)
). See - even now i got all UI drawn with OpenGL using only FFI calls
and in some cases its outperforms the bitblt.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.