[UI] We haven't discussed Host windows yet

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Sep 7 00:03:19 UTC 2007

On 6-Sep-07, at 2:17 PM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> I submit that native==fast is a myth.
I think we'd find it was completely dependent upon the qualities of
the implementations. Most emulated implementations will draw widgets
in a manner something like
draw background to display
draw border(s) to diaplsy
draw foreground colour/pattern to display
draw little fiddly details to display
draw text of label to display
  - because it is an intelligable agorithm that can be tweaked.
I suspect many/all 'native' widgets are drawn more like
draw stored texture to in-graphics-card bitmap
draw text from stored bitmap to bitmap
copy to actual display memory

Assuming the situation is anything close to that it is easy to see
how one way can be a lot slower than the other. If we further add in
the use of hardware driven line and filling and shading then one
could make a UI appear extremely quickly. I think that you might find
that Croquet was making good use of the hardware in this manner and
I'd imagine that one could do it for general Squeak. For portability
I'd suggest that Cairo is a sensible option to consider; it seems
promising in Sophie.

tim
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.