[UI] ToolBuilder

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Sep 9 05:12:11 UTC 2007

I am not thrilled about Squeak's (smart) reference streams on two front:
(1) size of the output; (2) ability to cope with layout changes.  SIXX
might be a better choice.  Rumor control tells me that it has grown some
new layout change features.

IMHO, Dolphin's binary filer is the standard to beat with respect to
layout changes (at least given one owner of the classes), and on size
(where I have checked it against the competition).

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 05:39:08PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 8-Sep-07, at 3:46 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>

> >The only reason I might want code generation is to retain
> >compatability with squeak's limited fileout capabilities. I
> >would much rather just have the morph and leave it at that.\
> Limited? Since you can dump any object to a file (hmm, are there any
> problems with recursively structured object? I've never stumbled
> across any) I'm not sure I can agree with that. Using ImageSegments
> can be a very fast way of loading complex structures.

I didn't know you could dump arbitrary objects to files. Thanks
for mentioning that. I see Object>>saveOnFile now

However, by fileout, I really meant "snapshot in a Monticello
repository". I can easily snapshot and version code, but not
anything else using the supported tools that I know of.