[UI] Re: Transcript>>show: slowness.

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:05:31 UTC 2007

On 09/09/2007, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2007, at 21:31 , Igor Stasenko wrote:

> >> So that you can see log entries even if you are in a longer
> >> computation that blocks the UI.
> >>
> > Just read your sentence more carefully! :)
> > "computation _blocks UI_". Blocks means: no input , no output!
> > Since transcript window is the part of UI, so why you think it should
> > make an exception?
>
> Because it's useful, maybe? Who cares about Transcript performance if
> it is "pure" but useless?

I care, because i want to trace some stuff in my drawing code. But i
can't do that because each call to #show makes transcript window being
redrawn.

And also, if you want your computation to not block UI, you can always do:
[ myStuff doSomething ] fork.

Take a look, how MC works. Do you find it convenient that during
updating/dowloading and installing package from net you can't do
anything because all UI is blocked?

> - Bert -

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.