[UI] ToolBuilder

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Sep 10 06:07:38 UTC 2007

On Sep 9, 2007, at 10:56 PM, Jason Johnson wrote:

> Now I'm curious.  Are some people really not convinced that tying the
> "Forms" style UI (model directly to the viewer) is a bad idea?  I was
> under the impression this was sort of settled after all the problems
> with the "Forms" style viewers used by VB, Borlands C++ builder and so
> on (i.e. very fragile, little reuse, etc.).

I guess it depends what you mean by "model." In Morphic, for example,
morphs have a "model" ivar that points to a class like Browser, but
Browser is really a model *of the UI*, not the thing that the UI
manipulates. That is, the PluggableListMorphs in a browser don't
connect directly to a class or a or a system category. The Browser
mediates between the views and the domain objects. If by MVP you just
mean that the views communicate with an object that mediates between
them and the actual content of the UI, then Morphic and Tweak are
both instances of MVP.

Colin