[UI] Well, shall we do something then?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:25:15 UTC 2007

Jason, Gary,

Sorry for the delay in response.  I am a little nervous about mining
Dolphin, because it would be easy to trick ourselves into thinking we
have a cleanroom implementation.

The other Dolphin-related topic is the buyout effort.  If we succeed
with it, then Dolphin would be open, and one could simply port its
framework to Squeak.  I dread putting the brakes on enthusiasm, but in
this case, it might be appropriate to do other things while the buyout
works its way forward.

With that said, how do you envision a rewrite working?  How would I
ensure that I am not simply copying OA's work?  Typically, I have seen
this kind of thing done by two people, one or more consultant/guides
familiar with (aka tainted by knowledge of) the reference system, and
developers sworn to never look at the reference system.  The "blinded"
developers write the actual code.  In that model, I would be a very good
guide, but I know too much about Dolphin to write the framework myself.

Fair?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com 09/10/07 2:21 PM >>>
On 9/10/07, Gary Chambers <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Have we discussed enough. Probably not yet.
> Can we decide on a plan to move forward?

Quite a man of action! :)

Well, in my opinion the next step should be to make some kind of
design on how we want MVP to work in Squeak.  Nothing fancy with UML
or anything like that if we don't want, but at least:  What classes do
we need and what is their responsibility.

Bill, do you want to take a cut at this?  I can go through my Dolphin
image and start taking notes but you or someone else might produce
results faster.

Thanks,
Jason