[UI] Well, shall we do something then?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Sep 17 01:56:15 UTC 2007

Tim,

Creating the next phase of GUI design is a laudable goal, but for now, I
have to be able to speak my current and near-future users' language.  I
am game to discuss anything more that you want to consider, but a viable
cross-platform solution to meeting current users' needs is anything but
premature.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

On 16-Sep-07, at 11:41 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Todd,
>
> I had forgotten about the costumes - now I really want no part of
> Tweak

Costumes are in my opinion one of the more useful parts of the tweak
design. You an change the look by changing the costume. Now tweak
events... that's a different story. Nice idea but living with them in
practice has been a real pain. Debugging when there are dozens of
processes running, each handling an event related script has not been
pleasant. I'm sure there must be a solution but we (as in 'the Sophie
team' have not found it.

> Perhaps we can offer a choice between
> Morphic and "The Welch Thing" on a per-use basis.
That would be 'the Welsh thing', if you don't mind,  (http://
www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=welch&searchmode=none) or
'Ariethfa Ffenestri' or just ffenestri. Remember that ffenestri is
*only* a system for creating and manipulating host windows and
allowing us to draw upon them. Someone needs to implement whatever
higher level code is need to make meaningful use of the window.
Morphic, Tweak, even MVC could all do so. My preference would be to
see something based on Cairo(http://cairographics.org/) since that
offers quite good quality, reasonably portable, vector based drawing
and fonts and image composition.

I really think that the conversations about use of MVP, MVC, whatever
a re very premature. Right now I'd urge people to be thinking about
what a UI should be able to do and not worry about just how to do it
yet. What sort of interactions are needed? What widgets will support
them? What sort of UI creation tool (s) would be nice? What sort of
presentation devices should be supported - big screen, little
screens, colour only or monochrome as well, touchscreeens, projected
giant displays, web browsers via Web2.0-whatever ?

Take the time to really work out something sensible. Document what is
worked out. Work through scenarios of use and programming of the design.

tim
Strange OpCodes: YII: Yield to Irresistable Impulse