[UI] Squeak's Menus Are Excellent (was: Re: [UI] Squeak's Menus Are Awful)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:53:07 UTC 2007

Squeak's menus are anything but "awful."  Specifically, they support
the keyboard and not just a modifier+hot-key (a la MS Windows menus).
The usefulness of this is especially evidenced with
World>>open...>>file...  Just type away instead of "hunt-and-click".

Squeak menus entry's can be tacked in place, and even invdividual menu
items can be torn off (use the duplicate halo) and placed anywhere on
the desktop or on a flap; thus building-up your own little custom IDE.
 They can even be turned sideways for special cases.

Your complaint seemed pretty insignificant to me, so I felt the
subject language of this thread was more than overly critical; more
like plain wrong.