[UI] C# methodologies

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 14 13:48:37 UTC 2008

Jason,

I need to read this more carefully later.  My gut reaction is that it
is a nice idea, but that I would not modify the VM or language over it.
Morphic has used extensions for a long time.  I have *no* objection to
graphical tools that notice and utilize such things.  I draw the line at
things like the Tweak compiler; it makes about as much sense to me as
building Squeak's underscore dependence into the compiler and sources -
an optional editor feature (bug to some) becomes a major headache for
cross-dialect compatibility.

Dolphin was always going to grow something like what I think you have
in mind, but it has yet to materialize.  I have some automated view and
code generation tools, and they have been helpful in various situations.
 Unless there is a huge reason to do otherwise, I recommend writing
productivity tools *in* Smalltalk, not *into* Smalltalk.  That way, one
preserves the concept of an integrated system with a simple language and
ever more advanced tools, all built the same way.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology