[UI] C# methodologies

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:47:29 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 11:32 AM, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Morphic's API certainly leaves room for improvement.  My main interest
> in it is that it works and can get us to whatever we decide to do next.
> Given that, it seems reasonable to consider it as one of our view
> hierarchies of interest.

Ah, I'm just talking about a "pie in the sky" here.  Of course I would
leave everything in place as we talked before as we slowly build up.
This pondering is just what a final state could be like, or what a
"killer app" could be.

> The more you describe what you want to do, the more I think about
> WindowBuilder.  I appears to be alive and well via Instantiations and
> VA, but it should also live in Smalltalk Express.  If we can get that to
> run, you will quickly get an idea of what it can do.  The following
> might work (subject to AV checks, etc.):
>
>    http://www.smalltalk.org/versions/SmalltalkExpress.html
>
> The patches probably refer to some changes to get it to run on "high"
> color depth video systems (aka, almost anything in use now<g>).
>

> The "other" Dolphin-based generator I mentioned can be found here:
>
>    http://www.cjd77.com/smalltalk/PresenterGenTool.htm

Ok, I'll take a look.

> I share your surprise at the way the rest of the world writes software.
> I could draw political analogies for it, but suffice it to say that I
> doubt the situation will change much.  All of us found Smalltalk, and
> others will too, provided dialects continue to exist and remain viable.
>
> Bill

Well, I understand companies.  And it's not that the people wasting
their free time to make a simple GUI app in C surprise me.  It just
strikes me as a place higher level languages like Smalltalk can add
major value.  What we have now would be an improvement but I want to
make the gap so wide as to be uncomparable. :)