[UI] OLPC review

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 20:38:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Jan 19, 2008 7:53 PM, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> You might find this interesting: ...

um. All rightly mentioned annoying facts aside, this reviewer made
some of the common mistakes, making direct comparisons between XO and
Eek (scnr), applying his 1st-world-nation spoilt view on the technical
requirements (cf. what he writes about multimedia support and tabbed
browsing).

Most reviews (and, unfortunately, most people's opinions and attitude
towards the XO) are driven by requirements they believe are crucial
for a low-cost sub-notebook today, instead of what the idea of OLPC is
all about. The project's goals are what should drive the reviews.
Regarding said goals, the reviewer certainly has some points...

All that aside, what made me smile is that an experienced sysadmin
couldn't manage to open the thing without consulting the manual. Maybe
I'm still thinking like a child in this regard, but it took me about
30 seconds. No manual needed. :-)

Best,

Michael