[UI] Mouse wheel

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 21 20:45:13 UTC 2008

Gary,

I hope this is not a repeat, or worse yet reflective of my not having
installed a new enough release, but _almost_ as much as I think keyboard
focus should be managed very carefully and independent of the mouse
cursor location, I think the mouse wheel input should follow the mouse
cursor, even so far as scrolling panes that are not active, and not even
part of the active shell.  First, I just noticed Ubuntu, its graphical
terminal, and OpenOffice do this to good effect (as just one example);
second, if I am typing, mouse movement is probably made to avoid visual
distraction from the cursor, if I am turning the mouse wheel, it is
almost certainly a deliberate action associated with the cursor
location.  Fair?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida