[UI] FillStyles in borders

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:03:54 UTC 2008

2008/6/27 Alain Plantec <alain.plantec at univ-brest.fr>:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 12:28:00 Gary Chambers wrote:
>> The lastest (version Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.324) of Widgets on SqueakSource
>> now has support for FillStyleBorder. Should also support use of composite
>> fill styles.
> I like that. thanks.
> Do you think it can be possible to get rid of old border styles (inset, outset ...)
> and replace them with FillStyleBorder together with a GradientFillStyle ?
> (by having 4 different fillstyles, each one for one side maybe ?).
> alain

If it not slows things down a lot, then why not.
In discussions with Gary we both agreed that it would be good if
drawing primitives could be based on uniform model:
any drawing operation can be represented by a function(shape, arguments .. )

This update getting us closer to such representation.
The number of supported functions currently are quite few:
- draw with solid color
- draw with gradient
- draw with infinite form
- draw with finite form (also known as blitting)

but its difficult to make a clean implementation on top of graphic
primitives, which we currently have.
Most of primitives are optimized for single kind of shape - line ,
rectangle, ellipse. But none of them can use any shape as input.

>> Just for example:
>>
>> Morph new
>>       extent: 200 at 150;
>>       borderStyle: (FillStyleBorder new