Reasonable hotels in London

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at cincom.com
Tue May 25 12:59:17 UTC 2010

Stef sent me an email asking about reasonable hotels in London. I passed on
a couple I have experience with but I wondered if others have any
suggestions (and we should find a place to post that information online, I
guess - not sure how to do that with Blogger).

Here are the suggestions I had:

http://www.shaftesburyhotels.com/
I stayed at the "Shaftesbury Premier London Hyde Park" for a few weeks when
I arrived in London. This company runs 10-15 different hotels in the same
area and I've heard that some are worse than others, so be careful which one
you book. That particular one was clean, reasonably priced, and had a decent
breakfast included (£89 / night  for that weekend). It's not particularly
close to the venue, but it's right by paddington station which is convenient
if you fly into Heathrow and catch the Heathrow Express. It's a short walk
to catch the Central Line to the venue. Free wireless.

http://www.pennclub.co.uk/
My mom stayed there last year and liked it. It's pretty basic but a very
central location (easy walk to the venue). It's run by the Quaker Society
but is open to anyone. Breakfast is included and is quite communal (you
share tables and conversations with other guests). Free wireless.

There are also a number of other boutique hotel companies that operate
around that area. Lukas and I both stayed in hotels run by
http://www.grangehotels.com/ last summer. They're quite fancy hotels but
sometimes have good offers, either in advance or last minute. A number of
them seem to be offering rates around £105-125 / night at the moment.

Julian