[Vm-beginners] last furlong

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:56:13 UTC 2010

That was a great tour through the pieces. I can see how the Slang
becomes the actual C code.

The difference between sq.h and gnu-interp.c is the letter "u", as
mentioned in that great post. I suppose, though, that's not really the
problem, and my playing with C files or Slang methods I don't understand
will be unproductive.

I took sources from squeakvm.org and compiled them successfully using
Adrian's blog. No problem. I started an image with that vm.

Then I started to play with the VMMaker and a taint in the process was
introduced. The only way I could imagine introducing a taint was in
putting in/leaving out a plugin contrary to the arrangement Adrian
specified. But that's not the problem, because I've seen plugins
compiled that weren't supposed to be and such.

The problem is the VMMaker itself, I suppose. It's not generic. It's
keyed - unwittingly, it seems - to specific sets of source files. And so
we have drift that can't be accounted for in Adrian's blog. All the
pieces of this process are like stars that keep moving and you can only
take a picture of a certain period in time.

It's this drift that drove Igor to write NativeBoost, I'd guess. When he
writes code with NativeBoost he knows that the image, vm, and plugins
may all drift, but the memory won't, so he doesn't have to recompile
every time something changes.

The logical question to ask the VMMaker is "What versions are you good
for, O VMMaker?" which - I'm willing to bet - is not a question it can
readily answer.

I'll read the last paragraph sometime in the future. :)

Chris