[Vm-beginners] Re: Fwd: Oops - I put a halt in a startup method

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 23:00:40 UTC 2011

> Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
> >
> > But given that the stack vm and the cog vm are semantically equivalent do
> > you even need to add tracing code to the jit?... why not just use the
> > stack vm...?
> >

> Would using the StackVM catch all sends?

99%  ;)   If I understand right, in #commonSend you should be trapping all
common cases, but you will still be missing some of the special selectors
that have special bytecodes associated. Those which are in Smalltalk
specialSelectors. Some will finally delegate to #commonSend so no problem.
Some will not and hence you won't catch them.
You will be missing (I think) those send from #primitivePerform
#primitiveExecuteMethod,  etc..

> --

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com