[Vm-beginners] Simulator

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 21:05:36 UTC 2011

I'm trying Craig's ( http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2465 ) instructions
for starting the simulator. In principle it seems pretty straight ahead.
Make two images and then start one from within the other. I "SaveAs..."
to make two images (source.image and stimulator.image), execute:

(InterpreterSimulatorLSB new openOn: 'source.image') test

And then I get an "Incompatible Image Format" error. Any suggestions on
how to resolve that would be great. This does seem to be how vms are
hacked. I have a feeling it's not the only way, but it must be the coolest.

Chris

openOn: fileName extraMemory: extraBytes

... snip ...

     (self readableFormat: version)
         ifTrue: [swapBytes := false]
         ifFalse: [(version := self byteSwapped: version) = self
imageFormatVersion
                     ifTrue: [swapBytes := true]
                     ifFalse: [self error: '*incompatible image format*']].