[Vm-beginners] Simulator 2

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:58:50 UTC 2011

I think I created a better rig. Leaving Cog out of the picture seems to
work better.

A standard image from squeak.org with VMMaker loaded in from
MetacelloRepository.

I create a fullscreen stimulator.image with the code in the workspace:

/(InterpreterSimulatorLSB new openOn: 'source.image') test/

Then open the stimulator image and execute. I get the satisfying "Object
Pointer Relocating" message and it's on its way.

I then get a ByteSymbol>>coerceTo:sim: error stemming from
Interpreter>>addNewMethodToCache

While this could work, I don't get the impression that this is how
people hack the vm: activating the simulator; getting the satisfactory
image; generate C files to compile.

I bet people hack the methods in the Interpreter class directly. I bet
that's faster than getting the simulator to work and then doing things
in slow motion with the slow simulator.

The simulator is more historical than practical, I'm thinking.

Chris