[Vm-beginners] Re: Learning Slang

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Feb 1 14:24:26 UTC 2012

Way back on Jan 10th, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> What is the best way? Is there a tutorial available somewhere?

I am sorry that a VM expert did not reply. As a fellow beginner, I
don't know the answer to your first question. However, I have the
following two documents on my reading list for when I have a need to
learn Slang.

* Squeak : open personal computing and multimedia, c.2002 (the new blue book)
Mark Guzdial; Stephen T Pope; Kim Rose
http://www.worldcat.org/title/squeak-open-personal-computing-and-multimedia/oclc/248089961
http://www.worldcat.org/title/squeak-open-personal-computing-and-multimedia/oclc/48085740
Chapter on Extending the Squeak Virtual Machine  by Andrew C. Greenberg
Draft at http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/greenberg.pdf

* the original Blue Book
Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation By Adele Goldberg
and David Robson; Xerox Palo Alto Research Center ISBN 0-201-11371-6.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/smalltalk-80-the-language-and-its-implementation/oclc/8667261/editions
Chapters 26 to 30  (pages 538 to 688) in particular pages 569 and 570.
Scan at http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/BlueBook/Bluebook.pdf

Although Adele Goldberg's book doesn't mention VMMaker or Slang, my
limited understanding is that the extensive code presented in Chapters
27 to 30 is written in a 16 bit version of Slang.

Some of the public method comments in CCodeGenerator and in the
"*VMMaker-translation support" category extension methods look as
though they would also be helpful to a learner.

Would experienced VM devs please correct any of my misunderstandings,
or suggest any other learning resources?

David