[Vm-beginners] Learning Slang

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Feb 1 14:41:49 UTC 2012

Marcus Denker  wrote:

>> Although Adele Goldberg's book doesn't mention VMMaker or Slang, my
>> limited understanding is that the extensive code presented in Chapters
>> 27 to 30 is written in a 16 bit version of Slang.
>>

> No. The Bluebook just uses Smalltalk pseudocode for documentation, it
> was never actually compiled.

Thanks Marcus for correcting my error. I had misunderstood a comment
about the Blue Book that Dan Ingalls made in an interview a few years
ago. (I got the mistaken impression that the code was drawn from
PARC's actual reference implementation of the Smalltalk-80 VM.)

Nevertheless, some of the methods in Squeak's Interpreter look
remarkably similar to the pseudocode, so I hope the documentation, if
not the Smalltalk pseudocode, will prove to be be useful to me, as
there is only limited documentation in the Squeak sources.

David