[Vm-beginners] aarch64 squeak-vm

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 21:15:08 UTC 2018

Hi Ken,

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:24 AM <ken.dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> To recap,
>
> I was able to build the older Debian package (4.10.2.2614) and, with a
> simple addition to config.guess, the Squeak.Org vm (4.16.5-3765) under
> aarch64 Armbian Linux.   This withOUT 32 bit libs.
>
> I have started down the trail toward
> oscogvm/build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur.
>
> The build/mvm file has x86 flags ("TARGET_ARCH=-m64" "-msse2"), and I need
> to set a number of flags, based on email with Tim (Thanks!) to set
> __arm64__ and ARM64 and adjust sqUnixMain.c for aarch64.
>
> Given that I have not done C/Bash/Make for a couple of decades, any help
> in deciding where these flags are set and which of the 4736 gcc flags need
> to be set would be most welcome.  The "-march=native" flag certainly won't
> do for a cross-platform build.
>
> So the proximate bits I see are
>   [1] what flags should be set in mvm (cross-plartform)
>   [2] what flags set in config.guess
>   [3] what aarch specifics are needed in sqUnixMain.c (and possibly
> platform/unix/vm/include_ucontext,h)
>
> After that, of course, is squeak.cog.spur and relearning gdb, sigh.

ARM8 is a new ISA so at this point development will have to move to the
Simulator and write a back end in the CogAbstractInstruction framework. One
will also have to create a processor simulator plugin, e.g. GdbARM64Plugin,
to complement GdbARMPlugin, BochsX64Plugin et al.  And this level of
development is a lot of fun. See https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3281295.

--
best, Eliot